[ExI] superluminal signalling

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Dec 17 20:57:38 UTC 2007

At 07:59 PM 12/17/2007 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:

>Whoa! I don't think I've missed any paper on superluminal signalling,
>but apparently I have. Any references?

It is generally accepted that non-inferential veridical foreknowledge
(deviating from sheer guesswork significantly far from mean chance
expectation) would require something like superluminal signalling:
that is, access to states beyond the light cone. This has been
demonstrated (it seems) in the lab, as well as by fairly rigorous
non-lab means, and discussed in

> >OUTSIDE THE GATES OF SCIENCE
>
>For those of us who don't have your book on the bookshelf, can
>you provide a relevant snip?

Well, here's an extract; the doubtful will need to go to the primary sources:

<[Dr. Dean] Radin used one of the simplest possible methods,
measuring shifts in skin conductivity in fingers or palms when the
wired subjects were affronted by computer images of violent or erotic
scenes, and those reactions in turn were compared with the physical
response elicited by soothing images and no images at all. When the
data from many subjects were added together and averaged, in order to
remove idiosyncratic responses and the intrusion of random noise, it
turned out that the average response (presponse) to neutral or
pleasant images followed pretty much the curve one would expect. The
image flashes on the screen for three seconds, and while subjects
watch the blank screen that follows, their skin conductivity rises
slightly, drops away again, flutters along in its normal quietly
wandering path.

After emotionally charged topics, though, skin conductance soars to a
quick peak moments after the image has flashed up, then again ebbs
away as the subject recovers from the brief startle or shock. All
this is only to be expected by any physiologist. Radin's and
Bierman's remarkable claim, though, is that the emotional images
appear to cause a smaller anticipatory surge *before* they are
displayed--in some cases even before the computer has *chosen* them
from a random pool. It's precognition on a small scale, registered by
tiny currents participants can't even feel.

This paradigm was eventually extended from simple lie detection
devices that look for modulations in galvanic skin response to the
more complex brain scanning devices used by medical physiologists,
brain surgeons, and cognitive scientists [...]. The great thing about
this approach is that a huge trove of data already exists, precisely
the research materials of scientists looking for almost anything
except psi. When Radin and his colleagues accessed this material,
their findings had been replicated in advance, mostly. Rather
suitably, Dick Bierman re-examined old studies on phobias and
gambling behaviors, and found small but significant pre-stimulus
rises in the ways people reacted to, for example, calm images versus
pictures of animals or erotic scenes (even among the phobic, the
naughty pictures cause more of a leap than the scary animal shots,
probably something Darwin would have predicted). An excellent
description of such presentiment research can be found in Dean
Radin's book Entangled Minds (2006), where he quotes Nobel
prizewinner Kary Mullis who visited his lab in 1999: "It's spooky.
You sit there and watch this little trace, and about three seconds,
on average, before the picture comes on, you have a little response
in your skin conductivity which is in the same direction that a large
response occurs after you see the picture... That, with me, is on the
edge of physics itself, with time."

After a dry run on his own brain, Dick Bierman went more high-tech,
using a non-invasive instrument called Blood Oxygenation Level
Dependent fMRI. This provides pretty color-coded pictures of blood
oxygen levels in the brain as a subject responds to certain stimuli,
or performs a simple task. Bierman chose the by-now-standard tripolar
workhorse of three kinds of visual stimulus--calming, violent,
erotic--drawn from an equally standard image inventory. He was
flashed a sequence of images for 4.2 seconds each, from a selection
of 18 violent, 18 erotic and 48 calming images. Oddly enough, there
was no presentiment elevation before either the calm or the violent
pictures, but the lift created by the erotic pictures was improbable
by chance at the level of some 1 in 320, certainly significant.

Encouraged, he applied the test to six male and four female
volunteers, segregating their results according to sex. The average
male reaction resembled his own. Again, no special arousal prior to
violent images, but a barely significant response to the erotic
pictures. The females did react to the erotic stimuli, but even more
strongly to the violent ones. What this tells us about our cultural
conditioning and our inherited propensities might be worth musing
upon. Given the very small number of subjects, it is remarkable that
Bierman got any kind of significance at all from his results, but in
fact the combined erotic target results were improbable at the level
of 1 in 250. >

More recent unpublished work (which I've read, but can't yet discuss)
by Dr. Edwin May--former scientific director of the US Star Gate
Program--and his colleagues, confirms these experiments.

Now, of course none of this is *proof* of time reversed information
flows, but these phenomena certainly suggest that it's real. Or, of
course, we're all in a leaky sim...

Damien Broderick