[ExI] Moral Behavior

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Dec 19 06:21:55 UTC 2007

On Dec 18, 2007, at 3:27 PM, citta437 at aol.com wrote:

> " Moral behavior is the realization that existence is preferable

> _________________
>
> Moral behavior is a dichotomy. Where in nature does duality exist?

Perhaps you make it a meaningless question by the manner of asking.
Life vs. Death is a pretty primary duality very much found in nature.

> Preferences of existence over non existence are produced by a mind
> attached to a brain matter dependent on energy in all it's forms.

Yada, yada, yada.   This noise [above]  is also all mind.  Mind is
[can be] a tool of survival.  The "preference" for survival long
predated what we think of as mind.

> Preferences/desires are movements of the mind which in turn depends on
> the brain matter as energy.

This sentence is devoid of meaning.  Do you think it becomes rooted in
science by mentioning the "brain matter" clumsy phrase and even
clumsier "as energy"?  This base idea is straight yoga sutra.

> Thoughts of existence are thoughts.

DUH.  But existence itself, is that but a though?  Does thought then
only exist in thought thus swallowing its own tail?

> There
> are many thoughts coming and going living in temporary existence.

Our "living" is in temporary existence or the "many thoughts" or both,
oh grasshopper?

> We
> are all thoughts/energy whether we like it or not.

What is the importance of liking or not liking what is, if in fact the
above says anything real?

> Hence, to exist or not to exist as energy is a question arising out of
> chaos/mental distress.

Huh?  To exist or cease to exist is a fundamental state and in many
respects when thought through clearly a most fundamental choice.   To
not grapple with the question at all is imho to not be fully alive or
human.

> To chose what is right or wrong is already a
> mistake.

So would you have us be a choiceless creature  being carried along to
destruction or continued unchosen and undirected existence by whatever
eddies we might find ourselves caught up in?   Would you call that
being more enlightened?   If so, you can have it.   If not please say
what you actually mean instead of parading this rather empty pseudo-
mystical prattle.

- samantha