[ExI] Qualia/Consciousness

citta437 at aol.com citta437 at aol.com
Wed Dec 19 22:28:20 UTC 2007

""Narrower definitions
> Daniel Dennett identifies four properties that are commonly ascribed
> qualia. According to these, qualia are:
> 1.ineffable; that is, they cannot be communicated, or apprehended by
any
> other means than direct experience.
> 2.intrinsic; that is, they are non-relational properties, which do
not
> change depending on the experience's relation to other things.
> 3.private; that is, all interpersonal comparisons of qualia are
> systematically impossible.

ineffable, intrinsic, private.  Those 3 sound accurate to me.

> directly or immediately apprehensible in consciousness; that is, to
> experience a quale is to know one experiences a quale, and to know
all
> there is to know about that quale.

Is this the 4th?  - to directly experience a quale in consciousness is
to know all there is to know about that quale?
______________

I do not see the fourth property of qualia as Dennett enumerated above.
My understanding of consiousness is a cognitive process with varying
degrees of behavioral responses. All I know is that in general
anesthesia there are four levels of consciousness. But the article
failed to mention the fourth property of qualia which is reversibility.
When a patient recovers from anesthesia the process is reversed from
the fourth level of unconscious state as in deep sleep to complete
recovery, the first level or complete awareness/awake.

There are many properties of what the brain can do and
qualia/consciousness is just one of them. Scientists call this property
of the brain as cognition.

Terry