[ExI] Transhumanism and Space Exploration, with Talmon Firestone

Kevin Freels kevin at kevinfreels.com
Thu Dec 20 19:05:02 UTC 2007

That's a good question. With the prenatal development occurring inside
the womb in amniotic fluid where up and down don't really matter, I'm
not sure there would be any significant difference up to that point. I
could see zero g maybe causing problems but not .38. Even more important
is whether conception itself might be challenged.

The  question of height isn't that important though. More important are
blood flow to the lower limbs and how digestion might be affected.
Evolution works slowly so taking that person to Earth "should" still be
an improvement except for a period of adjustment to the higher gravity.
That's just speculation on my part from an evolutionary perspective.
After just a few generations I am sure you would quickly see some pretty
significant selection pressures at work that in time would make it
difficult for their descendants to live comfortably on Earth.