[ExI] Qualia/Consciousness

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 00:56:44 UTC 2007

On 21/12/2007, citta437 at aol.com <citta437 at aol.com> wrote:

> "> The Chinese room experiment did not show anything, not one goddamn
> thing.
>
> It did not [correction, I should not have written "not"] show that the system as a whole can be conscious while
> comprised of non-conscious components, although that should have been
> obvious from the fact that individual neurons are not themselves
> conscious.
>
> Stathis Papaioannou
> _______________
>
> Neurons cannot feel either. The brain cells die and do not regenerate
> as seen in strokes but adjacent cells grow dendrites to communicate to
> other neurons depending on brain's location and the lenght of time it
> occured.

What does that have to do with neurons feeling, or the distinction
between the system and the components of the system?

> In brain surgery the patient is awake and does not feel the pain during
> surgery.

If he doesn't feel the pain there isn't pain. The brain does not have
pain receptors, although the meminges do.

> Nerve cells are located in the sympathetic nervous system.

The sympathetic nervous system does contain neurons, but what does
that have to do with neurons in the brain, whether they feel pain, and
consciousness?

--
Stathis Papaioannou