[ExI] Qualia/Consciousness

citta437 at aol.com citta437 at aol.com
Sat Dec 22 12:23:58 UTC 2007

>From "Inside our Mind"

" Quantum mechanics describes the seemingly bizarre behavior of matter
and energy at microscopic scales, e.g. that of atoms and sub-atomic
particles. At that level particles may be in two or more places at the
same time (quantum superposition), and particles widely separated in
distance may nonetheless be intimately connected (quantum
entanglement). These properties are used in quantum computation which
offers potential solutions to the enigmatic features of consciousness.
However quantum computation is disrupted by interactions with the
environment ("decoherence"), and neurons and synapses seem too large
for delicate quantum effects.
      But neurons may be far more complicated than mere switches. If we
look inside neurons and other cells, we see highly ordered networks
(the "cytoskeleton") comprised of microtubules and other filamentous
structures which organize cellular activities. Microtubules are
cylindrical polymers of the protein tubulin arranged in hexagonal
lattices comprising the cylinder wall. Cooperative interactions among
tubulin subunits within microtubules have been suggested to process
information, as in molecular scale "cellular automata". As the states
of tubulin are controlled by quantum mechanical internal forces (van
der Waals London forces), they may exist in quantum superposition of
multiple states ("quantum bits, or "qubits"), and microtubules may be
seen as quantum computers involved in cellular organization."

Hope the above explanation help what cannot be seen in an MRI but a
neuroscientist will be able to discuss it with clarity than I do.