[ExI] Where is Consciousness located?

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 07:48:55 UTC 2007

On 23/12/2007, Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at comcast.net> wrote:

> John [Clarke] has always claimed that if phenomenal properties are not objectively
> or abstractly detectable, then evolution could not select for them.  He then
> concludes that this is an argument that phenomenal properties do not exist.

It could also support the position that consciousness is a necessary
side-effect of the sort of intelligence that could evolve naturally,
or at least a necessary side-effect of the most efficient mechanism of
intelligence available to evolution (as you suggest below).

>  If some process is more efficient at achieving some attribute that results
> in something being more survivable, then evolution will favor or develop
> that process over another.  While abstract representations, given increased
> complexity (it is much harder to lie, than to tell the truth), can behave in
> motivated zombie ways, acting like they are consciously motivated, the
> argument is that it is possible that phenomenal properties of nature could
> be used to accomplish the same intelligent representation and comprehension
> of knowledge and motivation much more easily and naturally, than other
> merely abstract, or whatever zombie processes.
>
>  Do you think this information should be canonized somehow so we won't have
> to explain it repeatedly?  In 2009, I hope we are way beyond repeating all
> this every few years as we have been stuck dong now for so long.

I've started a Canonizer topic on philosophical zombies and evolution:
http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/52

--
Stathis Papaioannou