[ExI] Time Magazine: Person of the Year: Putin(!), my vote instead: Anna Politkovskaja

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Dec 24 02:35:04 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Amara Graps
> Subject: [ExI] Time Magazine: Person of the Year: Putin(!), my vote
> instead: Anna Politkovskaja
>
> I never had reason to buy and read Time magazine, now I have even less
> reason. Time just elected Vladimir Putin as "Person of the Year". ...

Thanks Amara, I am glad I wasn't the only one appalled by this.  I had to
pick up my jaw from off the floor.  I thought it must be a hoax, not just
because I am a personal fan of Kasparov, who has been saying for years that
Putin is bad news.  After seeing how Kasparov handled himself in the
interviews with the US talk show people, I would nominate him as person of
the year.

> Beppe Grillo has nominated Anna Politkovskaja as person of the year.
> http://www.beppegrillo.it/eng/2007/12/anna_politkovskaja_woman_of_th.html
>
> She (more-so, if she hadn't been murdered) gets my vote too.
>
> Amara

I read up on her.  I agree she deserves a nomination.  Another possible
POTY: Ayaan Hirsi Ali, but I fear she too is in a lotta danger:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-harris9oct09,0,3734484.story