[ExI] elections again

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Dec 29 06:16:32 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Harvey Newstrom
>
> And for something really scary, they point to this presentation showing
> real-world examples of how electronic voting machines can be used to skew
> an election:
>
>    <http://www.bbvdocs.org/presentations/attacks-public.pdf>
>
> --
> Harvey Newstrom

That long winded post on elections earlier can be easily summarized.  The
whole notion of electronic voting machines is madness.  It went off in
exactly the wrong direction.  This is one rare case where less really is
more: we need and can easily design a very simple system built from obsolete
computers, CRTs and printers that creates bar coded paper ballots, machine
readable but not human readable, which are then recorded on a website so
that the voters can independently verify their own votes, and simultaneously
verify that there are not a bunch of orphan votes with no apparent
corresponding voters.