[ExI] Asteroid on track for possible (probability of 1:25) Mars hit

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Sun Dec 30 01:57:03 UTC 2007

On Friday 28 December 2007 19:27, Gary Miller wrote:
> If the asteroid was to make impact with Mars would the Hubble telescope be
> in such a position as to capture the event?
>
> Such a video may motivate people to fund a long term prevention research
> program.

I'm afraid that I am predicting the opposite reaction.  People will see the
asteroid impact on Mars producing a crater and that's it.  It will not
produce planetary-wide destruction, so people will cite this as evidence that
an earth-strike will produce localized damage only.  I believe this event, if
it occurs, will make people less interested in defending earth from
asteroids.

--
Harvey Newstrom <www.harveynewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI GSEC IAM ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP