[ExI] LA Times: Rehabbing militants in Saudi Arabia (Meta)

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 16:22:03 UTC 2007

On Dec 29, 2007 6:07 AM, Gary Miller <aiguy at comcast.net> wrote:
> Eugene asked:  "How about we outsource all politics threads to a dedicated
> list, where we can put all the heat (but very little light) to drive a nice
> Carnot engine?"
>
> I agree 100% Eugene, but how about we don't wait until we're 10 or 15 posts
> into it and only the anti-American sentiments have been expressed.
>
> Such one-sidedness creates a strong impression in the reader and potential
> donor's mind that such topics are allowed as long as they are sufficiently
> Anti-American.  And that by presenting a counterpoint that they are subject
> to ridicule or moderation. Intelligent reasonable disagreement does not
> require ridicule and aggression.

Pure political discussion is (or should be) below this list.  It's
like arguing about the number of angles you can pack on a pin.

Using current political examples to illustrate more general points
about why humans have politics and what drives them is (or should be)
a major focus.

In this respect, the original topic of convincing violent Islamic
militants to change their ways is smack on target.  I don't understand
how easy it is, but it is of vast importance to understand.
Understanding it will require EP.

Keith Henson