[ExI] Survival (was: elections again)

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 18:53:56 UTC 2007

On Monday 31 December 2007, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > ever.  Or maybe I want to leave this sinking planet before all this
> > goes
>
> You can't outrun lean and mean Darwin survival machines. Your best
> chance is to float off with a large stealthy habitat into

What habitat is going to be able to survive without energy input?

> interstellar void, and never go near another star. Not that you won't

I have always agreed that distributing copies of yourself into the
interstellar darkness can be wise, but what would you become in the
darkness as an escape path? You'd have reduced energy. Finite
resources. You're cut off from the growth of the galaxies, so you're
not going to get replenished supplies every few million years. Would
you go mad with nothing to do?

Othertimes on this list we've discussed the prospects of escape into
abstractions (which are still coupled to this universe, unfortunately),
or escaping into our simulations. Escaping into the darkness is a new
one for me.

- Bryan