[extropy-chat] Immortal - unmortal, amortal, emortal

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 04:16:46 UTC 2007

On 2/1/07, nvitamore at austin.rr.com <nvitamore at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> What was the outcome?  I like emortal.  Thoughts?

I think its a question of taste.  There was a similar discussion on the GRG
list sometime in the last few months and there were many points of view
raised (immortal, indefinite longevity, unlimited lifespan, ...).  I don't
think it will be resolved until someone with the "throw weight" to implant a
term in many minds uses it in a number of public forums.  (And uses the
"term" in a sense that all can agree on.)

You could probably compare this topic with the discussion that astronomers
have about what to classify Pluto as (planet, minor planet, failed planet,
KBO, ...).  At least the astronomers know precisely *what* they are talking
about.  In the transhumanist ... human collective mindset range there is
much less precision over exactly what we mean [1].

Robert

1. Taking as a simple examples the divisions over whether one wants ones
body+mind, mind alone, contents of ones mind, ones DNA, ones DNA+ones mind,
ones enhanced DNA+ones enhanced mind, ones recreated DNA, ones recreated
mind, ... to survive for period X where X may range from hundreds to
trillions of years.