[extropy-chat] Elvis Sightings

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Fri Feb 2 17:52:16 UTC 2007

Damien Broderick" <thespike at satx.rr.com>

> John, how do you square this absolute and apoplectic certainty concerning
> the wisdom of these gatekeepers with their attitude toward, say, potential
> drexlerian molecular manufacture

It's the difference between having a theory and claiming an experimental
result.  Drexler said, I do not believe my ideas contradict the known laws
of Physics so I believe it will actually happen someday; if they had said
the same about cold fusion I might not have agreed but I could at least have
some respect for them. If Drexler had said "not only is Nanotechnology
theoretically possible but I already invented it 17 years ago, and it's only
because of an evil conspiracy among all the top sciences journal on the
planet that prevents this Good News from being well known" then I would say
Drexler is full of shit too. Fortunately Drexler said no such thing.

> or the value of cryonics

And if Cryonics advocates had said they have been freezing people and
bringing them back to life for 17 years with no problem then they too would
have fecal material up to their eyebrows.

  John K Clark