[extropy-chat] Elvis Sightings

Ben Goertzel ben at goertzel.org
Sat Feb 3 11:44:02 UTC 2007

Eugen,

The story that the researchers tell is as follows:

1) The experiments are simple but hard to get right, because when you
run the cell for weeks on end, gunk tends to build up inside them so
a lot of care needs to be taken

2) In most variants of the experiment, the phenomenon only occurs a
certain % of the time.  Arata's set-up seems to be an exception, but
his set-up is not so easy to run in your garage.  The variation
appears to be related to the batch of palladium used, which suggests
it has to do with impurities in the palladium.

So, you have a phenomenon that requires extremely careful set-up,
takes a long time to run, and succeeds only a certain percentage of
the time.

And then, once you've done it and gotten positive results, everyone
laughs at you and calls you a MEGA-BULLSHITter anyway...

Let's say that you, Eugen Leitl, took the time to replicate the
results yourself.  Let's say you put in a year of part-time effort on
this project, learning the boring little ways of getting the
deuterium to load really densely into the palladium, keeping your
cell running cleanly and so forth.  Then, at the end of the year,
what would your result be?  Well, it would be just another paper to
add to the existing list of replications.  How would one more
replication, by you, change the situation any?

The re-counting of McKubre's experiments in Beaudette's book are
instructive, for example.

-- Ben