[extropy-chat] String theory testable?

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 20:19:54 UTC 2007

Extropes,

I've never felt encouraged that the extra dimensions of string theory
would be detectable/accessible from our "dimensional level" of
reality.  My (barely dilettante-level) impression was that
substantially more energy (orders of magnitude?) would be needed to
"blast open" the subject "extra-dimensional" structures than was
available using current particle-physics high-energy collision gear.

So the following article --hope it's more than fluff -- came as a
pleasant surprise:

Physicists find way to 'see' extra dimensions
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-02/uow-pfw020207.php

The researchers use the big bang itself to provide the requisite
energy, and the heavens themselves as the data recording "device".
Gives new meaning to the credo of proto-extropians past:

"A sentient being's reach should exceed ver grasp, or what's a heaven for?"

Robert Browning (mostly)

--
Best, Jeff Davis

               "Everything's hard till you