[extropy-chat] Partisans and EP

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Wed Feb 7 21:51:50 UTC 2007

At 05:55 PM 2/6/2007 -0800, spike wrote:

snip

>Keith right now we would be interested in anything you had to say, even if
>it is nothing more than "howdy friends, I am alive."
>
>We have been on edge worrying about you for the last several days pal.

I am out, not in need of more money at the moment, but keep the checkbooks
and paypal accounts handy.

I am considering a suit against the IRS to cost the cult its unique and
illegal tax status.  Judge Silverman, a federal judge in Phoenix invited
the suit back in 2002.

"If the IRS does, in fact, give preferential treatment to members
of the Church of Scientology -- allowing them a special
right to claim deductions that are contrary to law and rightly
disallowed to everybody else -- then the proper course of
action is a lawsuit to put a stop to *that* policy. The remedy
is not to require the IRS to let others claim the improper
deduction, too."

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/ca9/newopinions.nsf/27B565D1754D4E5E88256B50005F20CE/$file/0070753.pdf?openelement

I tried this in 1998 but times have changed and this suit is
*invited.*  This special deal (obtained I believe by blackmail) is the only
real accomplishment of the current leader.  It transferred upwards of two
billion dollars from the US taxpayers to the cult.

The only way anyone will be safe to exercise their First Amendment rights
to criticize this example of organized crime (the FBI's classification) is
when the organization is defunct.

Recent estimates are that the cult has shrank by about 50% since they
started duking it out with the net.  Tom Cruise gets credit for a good part
of that.  Inadvertently of course.

Keith