[extropy-chat] Elvis Sightings (2)

Ben Goertzel ben at goertzel.org
Thu Feb 8 00:19:41 UTC 2007

 From the wikipedia page on Schwinger:

"
After 1989 Schwinger took a keen interest in the research of low-
energy nuclear fusion reactions (AKA cold fusion). He wrote eight
theory papers about it, including these [1] [2]. He resigned from the
American Physical Society after their refusal to publish his papers.
He felt that cold fusion research was being suppressed and academic
freedom violated. He wrote: "The pressure for conformity is enormous.
I have experienced it in editors’ rejection of submitted papers,
based on venomous criticism of anonymous referees. The replacement of
impartial reviewing by censorship will be the death of science."
"

Unfortunately, the guy died in 1994.  If not for the goddamn ongoing
blight of involuntary death, we would probably have a theory of cold
fusion by now, and maybe Schwinger would have a second Nobel Prize
for it ;-)

-- Ben