[extropy-chat] Elvis Sightings (2)

scerir scerir at libero.it
Sat Feb 10 17:08:26 UTC 2007

Eugen Leitl:
Give me a couple of papers which are not BS.

# I'm biased, maybe, because I knew
Giuliano Preparata [1][2], but the
paper below seems good. (It is the
only paper I've read, on CF).

That is to say, the experimental
part seems (to me) serious (definitely not
BS), and the theoretical model seems (to me)
interesting [3].

A.De Ninno, A. Frattolillo, A. Rizzo,
E. del Giudice, G. Preparata
"Experimental evidence of 4He production
in a cold fusion experiment"
RT/2002/41/FUS
http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/DeNinnoAexperiment.pdf
www.fusione.enea.it/pubblications/TR/2002/RT-2002-41-FUS.pdf

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuliano_Preparata

[2]
Giuliano Preparata 1942-2000
http://cerncourier.com/main/article/40/6/22
Italian theoretician Giuliano Preparata died
in Frascati on 24 April after a relatively short
battle against cancer. Born in Padua, he studied
in Rome. After graduating in 1964 he joined Raoul
Gatto's group in Florence. Later he was in the US
at Princeton, Harvard and Rockefeller universities.
In those years he produced excellent work on symmetries,
current algebra and on the field theory approach to
particle physics. After returning to Rome, he was
soon called to CERN as a staff member. He was later
Professor of Theoretical Physics at Bari and Milan.
Preparata was a theorist of great talent, with
tremendous drive and a strong personality. His most
recognized contribution to particle physics is
the extension of the Wilson short-distance operator
expansion to the whole of the light cone, developed
in collaboration with Richard Brandt in around
1970. This remains a basic theoretical tool for
the understanding of inclusive electron-positron
annihilation and deep inelastic lepton scattering.
However, his interests were already very wide and,
in the same years, he produced a well known,
seminal paper on nonlinear quantum optics with Rodolfo
Bonifacio. With time he progressively became critical
of many steps in the construction of the Standard
Model and of some parts of its foundations, such as QCD.
His interests were then increasingly concentrated on
different subjects, often with non-conventional
approaches and opinions, such as nuclear physics,
superconductivity, cold fusion and quantum gravity.
He worked until the end with great energy. He was at
CERN for the last time in January, when Remo Ruffini
gave a presentation on their work on a possible
mechanism for the production of gamma-ray bursts.

[3] I mean the 'Preparata effect', a sort of
Bohm-Aharonov effect, in which the e.m. (vector)
potential, and not the field, acts on wavefunctions
and changes the phases [4]. But the complete
theoretical model (with detailed calculations
predicting experimental thresholds, etc.) was
published in a book, and I do not have infos about
it.

[4]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aharonov-Bohm_effect
http://msc.phys.rug.nl/quantummechanics/ab.htm