[extropy-chat] Save the World

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Feb 11 01:19:23 UTC 2007

At 07:48 PM 2/10/2007 -0500, Keith wrote:

> > >  I had to come
> > >up with a way the energy and carbon crisis was solved.  That led to notes
> > >so extensive as to almost constitute a business plan.
> >
> >Send them to Richard Branson, collect $25 million.
>
>Any though as to how one might show something to Richard Branson?

why, yes, in general terms:

Airline tycoon Richard Branson has announced a
$US25 million ($A32m) prize for the first person
to come up with a way of scrubbing greenhouse
gases out of the atmosphere in the battle to beat global warming.

Flanked by climate campaigners former US
vice-president Al Gore and British ex-diplomat
Crispin Tickell, Sir Richard said he hoped the
Virgin Earth Challenge would spur innovative and
creative thought to save mankind from self-destruction.

The prize will initially be open for five years,
with ideas assessed by a panel of judges
including Sir Richard, Mr Gore and Mr Tickell as
well as Australian environmentalist Tim Flannery,
US climate scientist James Hansen and Briton
James Lovelock. "Man created the problem and
therefore man should solve the problem," he said.

"Unless we can devise a way of removing CO 2
(carbon dioxide) from the Earth's atmosphere we
will lose half of all species on Earth, all the
coral reefs, 100 million people will be
displaced, farmlands will become deserts and rainforests wastelands."

Sir Richard rejected suggestions that he, as an
airline owner, was being hypocritical in offering
the prize. "I could ground my airline today, but
British Airways would simply take its place," he
said, noting that he was investing in cleaner engines and fuels.

Top scientists predict that global average
temperatures will rise by between 1.8 and four
degrees this century due to human activities such
as burning fossil fuels, putting millions at risk
from rising sea levels, floods, famines and storms.

Mr Gore, whose campaign film An Inconvenient
Truth has helped spread the message, said all
science showed something was drastically wrong
but that Armageddon was not inevitable.

The winner must devise a way of removing 1
billion tonnes of carbon gases a year from the
atmosphere for 10 years ­ with $US5 million
($AS6.4m) of the prize being paid at the start and the rest at the end.

If no winner is identified after five years the
judges can decide to extend the period.

"This is the world's first deliberate attempt at
planetary engineering," Dr Flannery said via
video-link from Sydney. "We are at the last
moment. Once we reach the tipping point it will
have been taken out of our hands."

REUTERS