[extropy-chat] Elvis Sightings

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sun Feb 11 18:44:44 UTC 2007

"Damien Broderick" <thespike at satx.rr.com>

> Which psi experiments do you mean
that have no controls?

I had no particular psi "experiment" in mind, you don't think I waste my
time actually reading this stuff do you? No, I was thinking of the thing
that induced these people to do their silly little "experiments" in the
first place, the anecdotal evidence.  You hear all the time about the man
who had a premonition that his grandmother will die and she does, but I have
heard of a control only once, by Richard Feynman in his book Surely Your
Joking. One day when he was in college for no apparent reason he had a very
powerful feeling that his grandmother was dead, but it turned out that
grandma was doing just fine.

>   Or will you default to your fallback position of "Jahn and the others
> are probably just inventing their data"?

I assume all data is made up unless I have reason to think otherwise.

  John K Clark