[extropy-chat] Save the World

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 01:38:12 UTC 2007

> On 11/02/07, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 12:13:48PM +1030, Emlyn
> wrote:
> > >
> > >    Couldn't we darken the atmosphere to
> counteract the greenhouse
> > effect?
> > >    Kind of nuclear winter vs global warming...
> >
> > Instead of investing in cleaner jet fuels, he'd
> better
> > 1) make them burn dirty, preferrably inject ice
> nucleators
> > 2) fly high, as high as possible
> > 3) long-term, fly with synfuel or cryogenic
> hydrogen as fuel, made from
> > renewable sources
> >
> > Global dimming needs a comeback.

Huh? I'll pass on dimming the sky on purpose. That
will slow plant/algae growth which naturally scrubs
CO2 from the atmosphere. Less plant growth means we
will have to darken the skies more to compensate for
less CO2 turnover, until we are left starving in the
dark without solar energy. That's not the outcome I
desire.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." - Thomas Edison