[extropy-chat] D-Wave premiere of 16 qubit processor

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Tue Feb 13 22:25:38 UTC 2007

"Damien Broderick" <thespike at satx.rr.com>

> They're still claiming that < Quantum-computer technology can solve
> what is known as "NP-complete" problems > although critics have shown
> that this is an excessive claim for their own system.

If what they say is true then this is HUGE, far bigger than cold fusion
would be even if the damn thing worked, which it doesn't. However I have a
sneaky hunch the company is exaggerating their progress in this area just a
tinny tiny bit, but I sincerely hope I'm wrong. If I am wrong then the
Singularity will happen much much sooner than anybody expected,
even Eliezer.

Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe that's a little too soon; the
Singularity will be a meat grinder and I'm unlikely to come out
of it in one piece. No matter, it's probably just a PR blurb to boost
the company. Probably.

  John K Clark