[extropy-chat] Space elevator numbers I

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Wed Feb 14 01:04:16 UTC 2007

Keith,

 > This business is urgent, so let's figure displacing all the US coal
 > fired plants in about a year.

That seems extraordinarily aggressive to me.  If you're picking an
aggressive target in order to show that getting sufficient material to
space is possible rather than because you think this is really
necessary, I'll be happy to not argue.

But if you think we have to "solve the problem" in a year from a
standing start, I wonder what evidence you're relying on.  I know that
lots of people are worried, but I haven't heard anyone saying we'll have
lost the battle if we can't figure out how to stop burning coal this decade.

Chris
--
In Just-spring when the world is mudluscious
   -- E. E. Cummings

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
Blog:   http://pancrit.org