[extropy-chat] D-Wave premiere of 16 qubit processor

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Wed Feb 14 07:13:05 UTC 2007

"Ben Goertzel" <ben at goertzel.org>

> if we had one of their 1000-qubit boxes to play with, then that would cut
> down the amount of hardware needed to run a mature Novamente system by a
> couple orders of magnitude

I think it would do a tad better than that. Each time you add a qubit you
double the performance of the quantum computer; even with Nanotechnology I
doubt there is enough matter in the observable universe to build a
conventional computer to equal the performance of a 1000 qubit quantum
beast.

If what D wave says is true then this is a historic day without rival, but I
don't think it's true. Time will tell, if they still aren't selling a
working model 17 years from now then I'll know it's bullshit. If it's not
bullshit then Holy SHIT!

>via an AGI

I just don't understand why you use that silly acronym when we already have
one that is much better recognized and one third shorter, it's called AI.

 John K Clark