[extropy-chat] Space elevator numbers III

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Fri Feb 16 22:29:12 UTC 2007

Thomas wrote:

Jef Allbright wrote:

[...] In short, I remember when as a child I first read "Nature abhors a
vacuum" and I thought there was something profound about it, but not
profound enough.  I was trying to generalize to the idea that all action
is a result of difference of potential. Nowadays I tend to generalize
this all the way down to gradients of entropy.

So this can be seen as one of the general operating principles of the
universe, effective at all scales, from the cosmic to the social.  It's
built into our evolved psychology due to its general applicability to
all action and thus behavior, with the result at the cognitive level
that any perceived gradient creates intent to minimize the difference.
Of course, from the unbalanced context of self, that tends toward
actions that overshoot.
I think you meant "nature abhors a *steep* gradient."  I see it as a major theme of ancient Chinese philosophy.

No, any gradient at all.

An effective analogy can be made with electronics:

Any voltage gradient will cause electrons to move so as to reduce the gradient to zero.

The Golden Mean seemed analogous to impedance matching for optimum transfer of power.  Other kids would probably have thought of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

Yes, I was odd.

- Jef