[extropy-chat] EP and discount economics

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sun Feb 25 21:12:23 UTC 2007

On 2/25/07, Keith Henson <hkhenson at rogers.com> wrote:
> Even if you are *really* up on evolutionary psychology and discount
> economics, I think you will find this article interesting, especially in
> light of the recent space elevator/SPS threads.  Keith Henson
>
> Climate Change, Sabre Tooth Tigers and Devaluing the Future
>
> Posted by Nate Hagens
>
> "All of our past environmental successes (DDT, Ozone depletion, unleaded
> gasoline, etc.) had some sort of smoking gun - an emotional trigger. The
> problem with climate change/peak oil, is when we do get the emotional
> trigger, it may be a Gatling gun on full bore."
>
> http://www.theoildrum.com/node/2243

Yup.  While discounting the future is eminently rational, humans'
evolved heuristics are increasingly ill-suited to dealing with the
accelerating consequences of our actions.

We need an effective framework for amplifying awareness beyond the
capabilities of the individual human.  The good news is that
accelerating technology is providing both the problems and the
solutions.  The bad news is that humans tend to lack the necessary
intention to effectively develop and exploit such a framework.

I'm still rooting for the humans, but the odds increasingly favor our
non-human descendants.

- Jef