[extropy-chat] Boltzmann Brains

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 22:28:44 UTC 2007

On 2/26/07, Heartland <velvethum at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Stathis Papaioannou:
> "The implication of this is that I don't have to wait zillions of years
> for
> the one "correct" configuration that will implement my brain, because at
> least one of the infinite possible configurations will come up somewhere
> every moment. You're guaranteed of instant continuation after death, and
> in
> fact your next conscious moment will most likely be generated by this
> mechanism."
>
> There is no significant difference *in type* between your conscious
> experience and
> a conscious experience of someone else so as long as there exists someone
> who
> remains conscious after you die, you would have to conclude that you'd be
> guaranteed an instant continuation after death, no?

No: there are very specific criteria for my continuation from moment to
moment without subjective discontinuity. That is, I survive to the next
moment if there exists at least one entity with my memories, feelings, sense
of personal identity etc. up to the present moment. I survive with partial
memory loss if the same criteria are met, but relating to one of my earlier
moments.

Stathis Papaioannou