[extropy-chat] No news on DJI trading computer glitch?

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 17:06:37 UTC 2007

On 2/28/07, brent.allsop at comcast.net <brent.allsop at comcast.net> wrote:

[snip]

Aren't there any smart people that know what really occurred somewhere?

This is the first I've heard of such (that computer problems may have played
a role).

The NY Times seems to be blaming lack of confidence in the Chinese markets
which are in turn feeding back into the U.S. markets.  But the Chinese
markets were being fed involving questions about the strength of the U.S.
market (sounds like a recipe for a feedback loop similar to Black Monday but
displaced in time and form).

Interesting in that the number I've seen cited on the news is a loss of $623
billion.  That is about half of amount I estimated as a requirement for the
development of real nanotech (> $1T) about 5 years ago.  So it would seem
that having or not having real nanotech is getting to the point of being
"chump change" in the markets.

Robert