[extropy-chat] French marchers say 'non' to 2007

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Mon Jan 1 17:09:30 UTC 2007

At 04:04 AM 1/1/2007, Anders Sandberg wrote:

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6222153.stm
>
>French marchers say 'non' to 2007
>
>Hundreds of protestors in France have rung in the New Year by holding a
>light-hearted march against it.
>
>Parodying the French readiness to say "non", the demonstrators in the
>western city of Nantes waved banners reading: "No to 2007" and "Now is
>better!"
>
>The marchers called on governments and the UN to stop time's "mad race"
>and declare a moratorium on the future.
"The name Fonacon comes from the group's title - Front d'opposition à la
nouvelle année and Comité d'Organistion National (acronym "con", which
means daft). The organisers, who prefer to remain anonymous, say it is
illogical that people should celebrate the passing of time. The ending of a
year is another step towards the grave and therefore a tragedy, not a cause
for joy.

"The idea, which began in the village of Chauché, south of Nantes last
year, was launched nationally at a spoof 'terrorist' press conference. The
members of the anti-New Year front, including several otherwise
conventional local businessmen and women, dressed up in hoods and masks."

But it is not just the future I am learning.  It is to also about stopping
aging and death!  The irony is that while this may seem like a
anti-future(ist) trend, it may very well be transhumanist in part.  Please
read on:
"'It is about time that the passage of time ended,' said one of the hooded
organisers. 'We are fed up with getting older. Why should we follow the
fashion? The planet is getting older and warmer. Not us. Stop this mad race
towards death.'"

Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
Design Media Artist - Futurist
PhD Candidate,
<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/researchcover/rcp.asp?pagetype=G&page=273>Planetary
Collegium
Proactionary Principle Core Group, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy
<http://www.extropy.org/>Institute
Member, <http://www.profuturists.com/>Association of Professional Futurists
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the circle,
then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what is inside the
circle and everything outside the circle, then that is an open system
perspective. - Buckminster Fuller