[extropy-chat] Music! How a tune sticks in your head

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Wed Jan 3 00:06:59 UTC 2007

How a tune sticks in your head

A rock producer turned McGill University professor is delving deep into the
workings of the mind to see how a pop song uses emotions to embed itself in
your memory, finds Clive Thompson

http://www.thestar.com/artsentertainment/article/166594

This article is full of evolution/EP thinking.  Such as this quip.  :-)

"I actually became a producer because I saw the producers getting all the
babes," he said. "They were stealing them from the guitarists."

and

Not all of Levitin's idea have been easily accepted. He argues, for
example, that music is an evolutionary adaptation: something that men
developed as a way to demonstrate reproductive fitness. (Before you laugh,
consider the sex lives of today's male rock stars.)

I think you will enjoy it.

Keith Henson