[extropy-chat] Sasha is alive!

Joseph Bloch transhumanist at goldenfuture.net
Thu Jan 4 11:52:41 UTC 2007

ben wrote:

>Eugen said: "people should look into life extension first, and cryonics
>second".
>
>I'm wondering - are there any other options? Everyone seems to assume
>these two are the only ones: Either keep going in your present form as
>long as possible, using drugs, CR, etc., or dying and getting preserved
>in some useful way in the hope of future reconstruction/uploading.
>
>I don't think that's enough choices! Has anyone thought of any others?
>
>ben zaiboc

I don't see the two as mutually exclusive at all. In fact, I see
cryonics only as a last resort. If my efforts-- such as they are-- at
life extension to keep myself going until I can catch up to the
technological LE curve are not successful, at least cryonics is a better
choice than the alternative, which is complete material dissolution by
being buried or immolated after death. A long shot is better than no
shot at all.

And yes, I'm signed up with Alcor. It really isn't all that expensive,
if you go with the life insurance option to pay for the preservation.
Only amounts to a few tens of dollars a month.

Other choices? You could build yourself a spaceship and start traveling
in a long elipse at relativistic speeds, arriving back to Earth in the
(relative) future. It does seem a tad more expensive than cryonics, but
certainly a surer way of making it to the future (and perhaps avoiding a
"hard takeoff" singularity into the bargain!).

Joseph
http://transhumanist.blogspot.com