[extropy-chat] Sasha is alive!

Lúcio de Souza Coelho lucioc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 13:25:56 UTC 2007

(...)
> Do you expect manned relativistic flight in the next 30-40 years?
> Using which propulsion techniques? What about radiation background?
> (Interstellar hydrogen is pretty bright at relativistic speeds).
> Machines have none of these issues.
(...)

I am also rather skeptic about relativistic flight in the foreseeable
future. In 30-40 years with a lot of lucky maybe we will have a solar
sail or Orion or fission-fragment propulsion craft flying at less than
1% of lightspeed. (Well... Although there maybe beam-probes going much
faster than that. Again with a lot of lucky.)

But if we are talking about exotic, far-future relativistic stasis,
one can also produce a small black hole somewhere in the Solar System
skirts - perhaps collapsing a Kuipier belt object or whatever - and
then enter a close orbit around the thing...