[extropy-chat] what is probability?

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 7 00:10:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 20:42:46 -0500, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net>
wrote:

> Yes, I would assert that in a very deep sense all statements of
> probability entail a subjective viewpoint and that *ideally* the
> assessed probability will match the actual likelihood.

Subjective Bayesians, (at least the purists), follow after De Finetti and
deny the objective reality of probabilities altogether. They say objective
probabilities are but illusions created by agreement between people about
their subjective assessments. Is this also your point of view? My guess is
it is not; you make a distinction in the sentence above between
"subjective" and "actual", and so I take your word "actual" to mean
something close or identical to "objective".

-gts