[extropy-chat] The Kucinich Plan for Iraq

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Tue Jan 9 16:02:55 UTC 2007

Below is a message sent to me from a professor at a university I am
affiliated with.  I have not read the letter yet, but if anyone wants to
dig in and take a look to see if there is a substantial resolve to Iraq,
please do.  I'll be reading it today as well.  (I have no prior knowledge
of Dennis Kucinich http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Kucinich )

As you know, my goal is to discover effective future oriented ways to deal
with issues outside political party lines in a more heterarchical
stigmergic system.

If you find any points in the letter below to be substantive, let's discuss.

>Dear Friends,
>
>In November of 2006, after an October upsurge in violence in Iraq,
>the American people moved decisively to reject Republican rule,
>principally because of the conduct of the war. Democratic leaders
>well understand we regained control of the Congress because of the
>situation in Iraq. However, two months later, the Congress is still
>searching for a plan around which it can unite to hasten the end of
>US involvement in Iraq and the return home of 140,000 US troops.
>
>There is a compelling need for a new direction in Iraq, one that
>recognizes the plight of the people of Iraq, the false and illegal
>basis of the United States war against Iraq, the realities on the
>ground which make a military resolution of the conflict unrealistic
>and the urgent responsibility of the United States, which caused the
>chaos, to use the process of diplomacy and international law to
>achieve stability in Iraq, a process which will establish peace and
>stability in Iraq allow our troops to return home with dignity.
>
>The Administration is preparing to escalate the conflict. They intend
>to increase troop numbers to unprecedented levels, without
>establishing an ending date for the so-called troop surge. By
>definition, this escalation means a continuation of the occupation,
>more troop and civilian casualties, more anger toward the US, more
>support for the insurgency, more instability in Iraq and in the
>region, and prolonged civil war at a time when there is a general
>agreement in the world community that the solution in Iraq must be
>political not military. Iraq is now a training ground for insurgents
>who practice against our troops.
>
>What is needed is a comprehensive political process. And the decision
>is not President Bush's alone to make.
>
>Congress, as a coequal branch of government has a responsibility to
>assist in the initiation of this process. Congress, under Article 1,
>Section 8 of the US Constitution has the war-making power. Congress
>appropriates funds for the war. Congress does not dispense with its
>obligation to the American people simply by opposing a troop surge in
>Iraq.
>
>There are 140,000 troops remaining in Iraq right now. What about
>them? When will they come home? Why would we leave those troops in
>Iraq when we have the money to bring them home? Soon the President
>will ask for more money for the war. Why would Congress appropriate
>more money to keep the troops in Iraq through the end of President
>Bush's term, at a total cost of upwards of two trillion dollars and
>thousands of more troop casualties, when military experts say there
>is no military solution? Our soldiers stand for us in the field, we
>must to stand for them in our legislature by bringing them home.
>
>It is simply not credible to maintain that one opposes the war and
>yet continues to fund it. This contradiction runs as a deep fault
> [...]

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
Design Media Artist - Futurist
PhD Candidate,
<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/researchcover/rcp.asp?pagetype=G&page=273>Planetary
Collegium
Proactionary Principle Core Group, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy
<http://www.extropy.org/>Institute
Member, <http://www.profuturists.com/>Association of Professional Futurists
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the circle,
then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what is inside the
circle and everything outside the circle, then that is an open system
perspective. - Buckminster Fuller