[extropy-chat] what is probability?

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 9 17:49:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 20:48:01 -0500, Benjamin Goertzel <ben at goertzel.org>
wrote:

> 4)
> Note that up until the last century or so, many eminent scientists
> **were** also philosophers of science.

Yes, as in the example I've given of Ernst Mach (1838-1916).

I suppose Mach was among the last of a dying breed of
scientist/philosophers. Einstein too was something of a philosopher, one
who incidentally disagreed vehemently with Mach's philosophy. But I'm sure
you already know this.

I should mention also to John that were it not for the influence of Ernst
Mach on real nuts-and-bolts science, Speed Racer would have driven a
different car and had a different initial on his helmet.

-gts