[extropy-chat] what is probability?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jan 10 19:04:12 UTC 2007

At 01:16 PM 1/10/2007 -0500, John K Clark wrote:

> > Still no gracious acknowledgement of my 4 great scientists influenced by a
> > philosopher of science?
>
>Ok, I graciously acknowledge your quotations, but let me provide one too.
>The brutally honest 98 year old Bertrand Russell said:
>
>"When too stupid for math, I switched to philosophy, and when too stupid
>for philosophy, to politics."

But that's an entirely different point. You suggested that no
scientist was ever usefully influenced by philosophy of science
("Easiest way to prove me wrong is to provide a counter example");  I
and gts produced several counter examples of scientists who were so
guided. But even if you had quoted 1,000,001 scientists who swore
they'd never been influenced by philosophy of science, that still
wouldn't support your original claim.

(BTW, and trivially, I doubt Russell ever used the term "math".)

Damien Broderick