[extropy-chat] More forwards please (3)

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Fri Jan 12 06:04:40 UTC 2007

At 09:32 PM 1/11/2007 +0000, Robert wrote:

>I don't know if my parents will make it.  The odds are against them.

Mine didn't. They thought cryonics was repulsive, but then they had much
the same opinion about space colonies.

>But for those of you on the list who have parents in their 60s,

Heh.  I will be 65 myself this year.  Guess I am an ur-transhumanist.

>maybe even their late 50s, you should be asking yourselves whether it is
>"moral" to develop, market and push on technologies that *only* benefit
>those in the 15-30 y.o. age bracket?

I have no idea of what such a product might even be.  How about an example?

>I would predict there will come a time, sometime perhaps in the 2015 to
>2030 time frame when books will be written with titles like "How many
>could we have saved?"

Maybe.  A more interesting title would be "How we could have saved
them."  Because I don't know, for example, how to convince people that
cryonics is a good bet or even a good idea.  (Long ago about a third of
Alcor's membership named me as influential in their decision, but I have no
idea of what I did other than set an example to people already inclined
that way.)

Been thinking about how to get people into cryonics with increasingly good
mental tools (like memetics and evolutionary psychology) for over 20 years
now.  Not much progress.  Ideas would be appreciated.

Keith