[extropy-chat] comet McNaught !!

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Sat Jan 13 17:05:18 UTC 2007

OK, you guys, last chance. It _is_ visible still from the Northern
Hemisphere, but it gets lost in the horizon haze pretty quickly.
I believe now when I hear that it is the brightest comet in 30 years.
You North Americans should seize your chance (it's night in Europe
and too late; we already saw it :-) ). I suggest for you to look
tonight, because it might be too difficult to see after tonight.

And it's beautiful! Too many things this week prevented me from looking
for the comet, until tonight. WOW. I could see it with my naked eye
looking over Rome, but it is easier to see with binoculars.

So at sunset-
To see it, look at the spot where the Sun is setting (but DON'T LOOK AT
THE SUN.. that's dangerous). Then scan your eye up from the sunset
location and you should be able to see it. If there is too much haze,
then you'll need binoculars, but otherwise you should be able to see it
with your naked eye. It looks like a comet; that is a fuzzy round ball
with a tail above. Here is more about how to find it:

http://skytonight.com/observing/home/5133461.html

Look Up!!

Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
INAF Istituto di Fisica dello Spazio Interplanetario (IFSI), Roma, ITALIA