[extropy-chat] what is probability?

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sat Jan 13 23:52:41 UTC 2007

________________________________

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org on behalf of Damien Broderick
Sent: Sat 1/13/2007 2:12 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] what is probability?

At 12:01 PM 1/13/2007 -0800, Jef wrote:

>"A key question here is whether two machines, each functioning as
>rational processing units, with the same inputs,  might output
>different results to the same question."
>
>If you think they can provide different outputs, then your thinking
>is based on an assumption that (1) "rational" is different for
>different agents, or (2) "input" is different for different
>agents.  In either case, there's an assumption of something special
>(something undefined) going on in the subjective processing of the agent,

Well, to be awful trivial: J and G are rational machines closely
resembling humans. Input to both the question: Posit that either but
not both J or G must perish; which is the preferred selection? For
some values of G and J, I'd be startled if they output the same results.

Damien -

Clever enough, but it's clear that the inputs are not identical if these two "rational machines" have each received different information relevant to the question, namely, input distinguishing between their complementary stakes in the outcome.

Or would you argue that a machine's information about its relationship to other is not input, but rather some special undefinable form of knowing such as qualia?

- Jef