[extropy-chat] Eyes ... interesting article

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sun Jan 14 02:44:53 UTC 2007

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org on behalf of Keith Henson
For Human Eyes Only
By MICHAEL TOMASELLO
Trying to explain why the whites of human eyes are larger
than those of other primates leads to one of the deepest
and most controversial topics in the modern study of human
evolution: the evolution of cooperation.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/13/opinion/13tomasello.html?th&emc=th

Interesting article, but throughout I kept wondering how such an adaptation could have evolved, being more likely to be exploited by competitors than cooperators among humans.  Perhaps because we can so easily deceive with those same eyes?

- Jef