[extropy-chat] R: what is probability?

scerir scerir at libero.it
Sun Jan 14 19:08:39 UTC 2007

gts:
On the subjective theory of probability, two rational agents with the same
background knowledge may hold different judgemental probabilities on the
same outcome, at least in certain situations.

# Suppose 2 parties describe a system by 2 (possibly) different 'pictures'.
These 2 'pictures' represent the beliefs of the parties about the system.
Can we fix the conditions for determining whether the 2 'pictures' are
compatible? (I suppose there is a huge literature about that, but I'm not
sure, and I think compatibility is an important concept here). It is
possible to distinguish two kinds of procedures for assessing compatibility.
The first based on the compatibility of the prior beliefs on which the 2
'pictures' are based. The second based on the compatibility of predictive
probabilities they define.
Does it make any sense?
s.