[extropy-chat] Eyes ... interesting article

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 04:29:58 UTC 2007

On 15/01/07, Keith Henson <hkhenson at rogers.com> wrote:
> In the stone age most of the time those close enough for us to see whites
> of our eyes were relatives.
>
> That's one of the key things to remember during the long period of human
> evolution as hunter gatherers.
>
> However, the same is true of chimp bands.
>
> So why didn't they develop eyes like we have?

Perhaps for the same reasons that they didn't develop our level of
general intelligence, language, etc. Maybe it's all somehow a package
- a group of reinforcing traits that are only really useful all
together (co-evolving incrementally?), and require some particular
environmental stimulus to trigger off (a stimulus which presumably
chimps and pygmy chimps didn't share with us).

Emlyn