[extropy-chat] The Bible Belt Paradox

pjmanney pj at pj-manney.com
Mon Jan 15 21:46:51 UTC 2007

Damien wrote:
>Omg! Elderly Jews retiring to Florida are taking up axe murdering and
>chainsaw massacres? Or is this a matter of dispossessed farmers or
>former factory fodder moving to CA and TX for the climate?

No, no, no, no, no!  Not retirees.  Young, upwardly mobile (they hope) workers, in cities like Atlanta, Phoenix, Las Vegas (and not for gambling), Houston, Austin, etc.  Alternative tech-centers, phonebank centers, mail-order companies and really, any other companies.  The companies and their employees like the weather, yes, but they love the tax breaks, the reduced cost of living, the lower wages (from the POV of the companies) etc.

>I see, btw, that wikipedia sez:
>
><Culturally, however, southern states from Texas to Florida are more
>often referred to as Bible Belt states, while southwestern states
>extending to the Pacific coast (New Mexico, Arizona, and California)
>are most often associated with a life-style synonymous with the Sun Belt.>

True-ish.  But I really was thinking about the entire swath, from Arizona to Florida.

PJ