[extropy-chat] what is probability?

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Thu Jan 18 17:23:17 UTC 2007

gts wrote:

> "Please tell me, Captain," says Spock as he raises his
> eyebrow, "by what kind of illogical magic can someone obtain
> a batting average without actually going to bat?"

Kirk sets down his glass of Rigelian brandy and turns to his friend
sitting stiffly at the bar. With a hint of a smile, he leans over and
lays his arm across Spock's shoulder.

"Spock, you old objectivist...," Kirk began.

Spock arches his eyebrow.  "'Old', Captain?"

"As humans, there are things that...we...just...know.  We come into the
world knowing to reach for our mother's breast." His eyes follow the
Andorian in the miniskirt passing behind Spock. "We know certain things
we like..."  His eyes snap back and target his empty glass.  "and some
things we don't."

"Yes Captain, I am quite familiar with the tenets of evolutionary
psychology, but I find it fascinating that you humans often act as if
with certainty, despite lacking a proper reference class."

"Spock, we...are...our...own reference class."  Kirk winks at Spock and
rises to follow the Andorian, her hips swaying suggestively as she hints
at moving toward the exit.  "For example, old friend," Spock's eyebrow
arches yet again. "How long can an Andorian hold her breath while
kissing? I don't know, I've never kissed one--yet--but I'd maintain that
I have a workable prior."

"Indeed, Captain."

- Jef