[extropy-chat] TIME MAGAZINE: The Brain -- A User's Guide

pjmanney pj at pj-manney.com
Sat Jan 20 03:41:59 UTC 2007

TIME MAGAZINE strikes again:  The new special issue is devoted to THE BRAIN - A user's guide.

We all know this stuff, but it's great to see it out for the public.  Neurosociety, here we come.

I haven't read it yet.  I'll just wait for my copy to arrive.

There are too many links.  Just go to:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1580416,00.html

COVER STORY
The New Map Of The Brain
There are uncharted worlds inside your head, but science is drawing a map Read the Cover Story

The cover package also includes:

The Mystery of Consciousness
You exist, right? Prove it. How 100 billion jabbering neurons create the knowledge--or illusion--that you're here

How The Brain Rewires Itself
Not only can the brain learn new tricks, but it can also change its structure and function--even in old age

6 Lessons for Handling Stress

Five Paths to Understanding
>From gruesome ancient rituals to modern pharmacology, mankind had been trying to discover what's really going on inside our heads. A short history

Time Travel in the Brain
What are you doing when you aren't doing anything at all?

What Do Babies Know?
Less than we thought, say scientists at the new Babylab. What passed for intelligence may have been boredom

How We Make Life-and-Death Decisions
"Morality is more properly felt than judged of; though this feeling or sentiment is commonly so soft and gentle, that we are apt to confound it with an idea." DAVID HUME, Scottish philosopher

The Flavor Of Memories
Emotions turn out to be key in how we remember--and can help us recast traumas dredged from the past

Marketing To Your Mind
With new scanning technologies, smart companies may soon sell their products directly to the decider in chief: the brain itself

The Power of Hope
We say "Sweet dreams" when we induce general anesthesia--but nobody dreams. Consciousness stops.With anesthesia, however, we know how to undo the spell. You wake up when the operation is over, and there you are again. Not so when you drop into the coma of an advanced brain tumor

Who Should Read Your Mind?
Brain scanners are becoming more powerful all the time--and privacy experts are worried

How To Change A Personality
Drugs and implants can be used for more than treating brain disorders. But there are limits

What The Mouse Brain Tells Us
Stunning new images from the brains of mice offer insights into the human mind disorders

The Gift Of Mimicry
Why monkeys see and do, why babies smile at mothers and why our skin crawls at scary movies

 Essay

 The Last Taboo

 A Pipe Organ

 A Story We Tell Ourselves