[extropy-chat] ExI profiled?

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Sat Jan 20 21:44:42 UTC 2007

spike wrote:
> ExIers, where are you from?

I grew up in Boredom, and early migrated to Science Fiction and Science.
There I live a nomadic lifestyle, usually travelling between Math,
Computer Science, Neuroscience and Complex Systems with frequent trips
abroad to Philosophy, History, Politics and other exotic places. I guess
one could say I have an Enlightenment ethnicity.

Of course, physically I'm a male from Sweden living in Oxford, but who
cares about that?

> Since we first did this question about 8 years ago, there seem to be fewer
> transparency advocates and more privacy fans.  Comments on that comment
> also
> welcome.

I like privacy, but I simply can't see how to keep it reliably in the
future without resorting to massive disinformation shielding, undermining
the information society. I think I prefer a two-way transparent society to
one where we have to trust opaque authorities to handle our information
responsibly.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics