[extropy-chat] frozen in fire

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 21 03:24:05 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg
> "If the clinic is burning, should you save a dewar with a few hundred
> frozen fertilized embryos or a child?" ... Anders Sandberg,

Anders, this one is easy.  The living child has humans who have emotionally
bonded to her, the embryos not.  As a new parent, I do know how that feels,
and would never question for a second the rightness of saving the child.
Additionally, we can easily make a bunch of new frozen fertilized embryos,
more than can be reasonably brought to term.  Another argument is that there
is an excellent chance all the embryos in the dewar would survive the fire,
as a dewar and a bunch of LN2 would be a great fire shield.