[extropy-chat] frozen in fire

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Jan 21 10:19:20 UTC 2007

On Jan 20, 2007, at 9:46 PM, spike wrote:

>> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
>>
>> In every generation, unto the furthest star and the deepest depths of
>> Time, for as long as that light lasts which began in the human
>> species,
>> there will be those who care for every sibling of the family
>> Sentience.
>>   Those who help freeze you may not know you, but for your sake they
>> have set themselves against Death to shatter the scythe.  And
>> others of
>> that same kind, also shall revive the frozen... Eliezer
>

> Thanks Eli, this is eloquent beyond poetry.

Elegant and poetic perhaps but likely?  I have doubts.   Precisely why
should we expect some being post Singularity of nature utterly
unknowable by us today to choose to reanimate pre-Singularity beings?
What if the pre-singularity being would require a near full rewrite to
begin to comprehend the world as it had become.  Would reanimation of
the old self be considered good  quite so automatically?

For your sake?  Just because you are a sentient?  Is that how we act
now?  No?  Then why do we have such an assurance that these future
beings will act thus?

- samantha