[extropy-chat] ethical issues with children

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 22:40:13 UTC 2007

On 1/21/07, pjmanney <pj at pj-manney.com> wrote:

> [big snip]

> I assume that the Extroparents are doing that by being Extropes.

Yes, of course, and the converstation has encouraged me to make a call to my
father and strong-arm a Lego mindstorms system out of him for his
grandchildren.  (Shame on me for not doing this previously.)  The debate
revolved around whether the grandchildren are potential engineers.  One does
not know whether they are engineers until one gives them something to
engineer with!  I could engineer my "imaginary" friends in the closet until
the cows come home at night but it only really counts if one can manifest it
in reality.

(Are all of you watching...  Am I influencing your thought patterns, i.e.
engineering how you think?  Of course managing children and managing the
ExICh list and managing cats have a lot in common...)

R.